Monday, November 30, 2009

Black Friday

Since I don't have any stitchy pictures to show (not much stitching done this past week due to having the kids home, working and having a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in my back) I thought I'd tell you about our dealings with Black Friday.

I'd love to go out on Black Friday, I know, I know; most people think I'm nuts. The last time I got to go was when I was pregant with Kaitlyn and I had to drag Marie and Logan with me at 5:00 a.m. They weren't happy but then again, they weren't really awake. I don't do the whole day shopping thing. I decide what I want and go get it (or rather I send DH to go get it) so we were home by 8:30 that morning and that was after doing breakfast. The kids were still in their jammies and went back to bed when we got home.

This year we started planning on things we wanted to get a couple of weeks before and waited to get the circulars on Thanksgiving to see where he was going first. We did enough research (Hey, with four kids you really have to know how to shop so you can get the most for your money) to find out that we could order a couple of things at Walmart.com and avoid that area of the store all together. They had $.97 shipping on a couple of items we've been wanting to get so at midnight I tried to go online to purchase. Their circular said it was available on Friday so what the heck right?? I tried again around 1:00 a.m. and gave up and went to bed. At 3:30 a.m. my DH woke me up to find out whether or not I was able to get those items. I immediately jumped up and hit the computer and to my surprise, I was able to order them both with no problems!

By the time I was done ordering, I was wide awake and that was the extent of my sleeping and my Black Friday shopping. LOL The DH, however, had lots to do and still had to head out to WM, Target and Staples. He headed out the door around 4:05 and was back home by 7:10 with a nice hot cup of coffee for me!! I got my wireless keyboard and mouse for more than 50% off from Staples and I couldn't be happier. I had been pricing the wireless keyboards and found a cheap one for $29.95 at Target (and that was just the keyboard) but was hoping that something better would come along with Black Friday sales and I got lucky! Staples had a nice set from Microsoft for the same price. Normally this set costs $79.95, or so they say. lol I was also able to get some nice jammies and a couple of pairs of jeans too. Yeah, I know! Black Friday is supposed to be about shopping for other peoples Christmas presents but I needed these things and I wasn't about to walk away from a really good sale. (Okay, Okay, technically it was DH not walking away from them but still, you get my point right?!?!?! lol)

We were able to get the majority of what we had put on our list and that's a miracle. Most times you miss out on a lot because you can't be in two places at once. I think it was because most places weren't really having really good deals so that made the decision on where to go a whole lot easier. I have to say I was pretty much disappointed in Target this year. That is my favorite place to shop and they really didn't have good deals. WalMart beat them on everything. After Santa delivers all the goods we helped him find, I'll show you all the good deals we found for him. I bet you didn't know we shop for Santa and wrap presents to help him out. Yup, for a couple of years now I've been doing everything I can to help Santa out as he's such a busy guy. ;) After we get the stuff for him, he has breakfast with DH so he can take the bulk of it back to the North Pole with him. On Christmas Eve, if he's behind on his wrapping, I help him out and still leave the cookies and milk for him.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and lots of fun shopping on Black Friday!

4 comments:

Meari said...

Sounds like you did good on Black Friday, Terry. I got my wireless keyboard and mouse years and years ago on Black Friday... from Staples, I think. Mine's not MS, though. I think I got it for free after rebate (back when BF sales offered rebates and the deals ended up being free) - no such luck these days! Can't wait to see what you got for the kiddos! :)

CindyMae said...

Sounds like some good work was done on Black Friday!! I did not go out or shop at all on Black Friday this year.

Carolyn NC said...

Wow - sounds like you were smart and got some great deals. We were out in the mall from 7:30 to 3:30 - well worth it, but sooooo tiring! I was surprised - not jammed with people to begin with, though it picked up after lunch. Kudos to you!

Sharon said...

Girl, I can't handle Black Friday, been there won't do it again-LOL Sounds like you got some sweet deals though.